Sharing my full review of the HigherDOSE sauna blanket and if I think it’s worth it. This post isn’t sponsored, but I use and love this thing SO MUCH. The company generously offered a discount code for you all if you’re interested in trying it! Use FITNESSISTA15 for 15% off at this link (<— affiliate link).
Hi friends! How’s the week going? I hope you’re having a good one so far. We met up with friends for dinner and I caught a glorious hot yoga class.
For today’s post, I’m sharing an updated review of my beloved sauna blanket, the HigherDOSE. Every time I post about this magical wonder on Instagram stories, I’m flooded with questions. I did quite a bit of research before I finally decided to go for it, so I’m breaking it all down in this post.
I’ve now used this beauty for over a year and have so many great things to say about it. It’s become one of the non-negotiables in my weekly health practice and makes a huge difference in my skin and mood.
What is the HigherDOSE sauna blanket and how does it work?
The HigherDOSE sauna blanket is an at-home and portable version of an infrared sauna. It uses infrared heat (which heats your body from the inside out, not the other way around), along with healing tourmaline crystals, clay, and a charcoal layer (which all generate negative ions). It’s made of nontoxic materials and is extremely low EMF, so it’s not emitting radiation throughout your body while you’re relaxing and sweating.
To set it up, you just unroll the blanket and plug it in! You can easily adjust the heat settings with the remote and I usually give it about 10 minutes or so to heat up.
Benefits of infrared sauna:
Sauna means “bath house” in Finnish and heat as therapy has been used for thousands of years. Infrared technology was born in the late 1800s. Over time, saunas have been used for so many things, including healing and preventing illness, for burial preparation, and for childbirth. (It was fascinating to read a bit about the history of saunas here!) It encompassed the circle of life and heat was thought to be a powerful protective and life-giving force.
Obviously technology has changed a ton since then, but today many people still use saunas for the health and restorative benefits. You can find them at gyms, at the spa, and many people own one in their home. Saunas can potentially help with aging, illness, detoxification, healthy skin, increased blood flow, decreased anxiety, muscle soreness, relaxation, and improved mood. Not everyone is on board with the detoxification aspect (some say it’s a myth, but I’m a huge believer in the detoxifying power of a good sweat) and I notice that it makes my skin glow, my mood is improved, and I feel zen and relaxed when it’s a regular part of my routine.
(All wrapped up and sweating like a happy Chipotle burrito.)
Here are some pros and cons about the HigherDOSE option:
– It’s small and portable!! I would LOVE to have a full-sized infrared sauna in our house, but we have zero room here. It would be something weird I’d have to build into the closet. I also thought about a backyard option but when you live in AZ, the thought of a snake or scorpion making its way into the sauna is a very real fear. This gives you the same infrared benefits but it’s small, compact, and you can move it around easily. I typically use it on the floor of my office or in the living room.
– It feels AMAZING. I’m borderline addicted to how great it makes me feel and could use it every single day. (I usually have time to do it 3-4 times a week, usually after I get the crew to bed! I just listen to a podcast or pop a show on the iPad.) I love a serious sweat and it just fills me with endorphins. My skin looks brighter after I use it, I sleep like a baby, and I haven’t noticed any muscle soreness even though I’ve been pushing it with my strength workouts.
– I’ve come back to this post three times and still can’t think of any. I’ve been extremely happy with it and haven’t found any issues or pain points. My only downside was that the older version of the blanket had a Velco closure; they’ve updated with a super easy-to-use zipper closure.
Tips for using the HigherDOSE Sauna Blanket:
When you use the blanket be sure the read the instruction manual and guidelines, but these are just some of my tips:
– Plug it in and let it heat up for about 10 minutes. Make sure it’s on a flat, fireproof surface.
– Figure out your sauna outfit of choice. They recommend being fully clothed in the blanket with lightweight and breathable options. I wear lightweight cotton jogger pants, a tank with a long-sleeved tee over it, and full socks. I also put a small towel under my tailbone or my booty gets too hot from pressing against the blanket on the tile. They just added a sauna insert that you can use instead, too!
– Find something to entertain you during your sauna time. It’s very hard to read a book because you don’t want to keep sliding your arms out to turn the page, but a TV show or movie, audiobook or podcast all work well.
– Sweat it out! You can play around with the heat settings and time to see what works best for you, and I recommend working your way up instead of starting too hot or too long. You’ll find that your heart rate will increase a bit and you’ll start to sweat. It feels amazing. My sweet spot is 35 minutes at level 7. (I always set a timer on my phone so I don’t fall asleep!)
– After I get out of the blanket, I open it up to start drying, and hop in the shower. After I shower, the blanket has cooled down a bit so I can thoroughly clean it with one of these wipes. These are the same cleaning wipes I use for the Peloton! I always unplug the power supply cord when I’m done using it.
– I let it dry completely before folding it and sliding it under my bed to store. (Make sure the cord isn’t wrapped or bundled when you store it. Try to keep it lightly looped.)
– For travel, they also have a super handy travel bag! I’m brining it with me for all future road trips.
That’s it! If you decide to try it out, use the code FITNESSISTA15 here for 15% off. It’s my favorite purchase in a LONG time. I also use and love their PEMF Go Mat and red light face mask. My discount code FITNESSISTA15 works on all of these things.
Here’s a quick video on how to use the HigherDOSE sauna blanket:
So tell me friends: are you a sauna fan or not so much?
What’s your #1 fave way to unwind?